Today may be the first of April, but this is not a joke:
There is a new Super Tux Party release!
As announced in the previous version, this version contains a vastly improved version of GNU fields and a new field: Nolok fields.
How does it work?
When landing on a GNU field, a minigame will be played.
There a two types of minigames:
- Solo minigames: A single-player challenge. If the player succeeds, the player will be given an item as a reward.
- Coop minigames: Here the players have to join forces. If they succeed they will each get 10 cookies.
So GNU fields help you and all other players.
Nolok fields are the opposite of GNU fields. As GNU fields reward the players, Nolok fields punish them instead.
Nolok fields invoke different effects when landed on, too:
- Solo minigames: Very similar to the GNU variant, just instead of rewarding the player with an item. They will lose a cake if they fail the minigame.
- Coop minigames: Also similar to the GNU variant, but the players are not given cookies if they succeed, they lose cookies if they fail.
- Board effect: Contrary to the GNU fields, Nolok fields can give the player a punishment without playing a minigame. Currently, there are two types of punishments:
- Stealing coins: Nolok will steal the player’s coins depending on their placement
- Bad rolls: Nolok can also worsen the dice rolls of players. If this happens, your dice rolls will be 2 less every roll for the next 5 turns.
So Nolok fields give quite bad effects when you land on them. Better stay away from them!
As we’ve introduced new minigame types, we need of course minigames to implement these new types! The previous version of gnu minigames are now called GNU Coop minigames, so there are 3 new minigames we need to discuss.
Forest Run (GNU Solo):
This is a Jump and Run style minigame, where you have to dodge rocks thrown by catapults and jump between platforms to reach the finish line.
Dungeon Parcour (Nolok Solo):
Similar to the forest run minigame, this minigame is also a Jump and Run style minigame. You need to dodge fireballs instead of thrown rocks.
Boat Rally (Nolok Coop):
In this minigame, you need to reach the finish line with your boat. The catch is that each player can only paddle at his position.
Therefore teamwork is important here.
We’ve been kindly given a free hosting solution for translation on Hosted Weblate. Translations are open and welcome, so please help out if you can!
- Added loading screens
- Added music to “Haunted Dreams” minigame
- Added Graphic options
- Added victory screen with a game summary
- Added 3 new minigame types:
- Gnu Solo: Single-player challenges that are rewarded with an item
- Nolok Solo: Single-player challenges to prevent a cake from being stolen
- Nolok Coop: All players must work together to win the minigame or each player will lose 10 cookies
- Added 3 new minigames:
- Forest Run: Jump and run platformer (Gnu Solo minigame)
- Dungeon Parcour: Jump and run platformer (Nolok Solo minigame)
- Boat Rally: Steer a boat through rocks and avoid being hit by falling bombs (Nolok Coop)
- Added Credits screen
Improved / Changed
- Smoother player movement on boards
- Fixed roll button not clickable
- Fixed missing translations
- Improved outlines when selecting items/players
- Better dirt texture
- Cakes don’t respawn at the same location (if possible)
- The AI difficulty level in savegames has been fixed
- If you save when prompted with a mini-game, the mini-game will no longer be skipped when the game is loaded
- Fixed crash when loading the “Haunted Dreams” minigame
- Fixed the board turns setting being ignored